Sunday, March 13, 2011

Zionsville, Indiana.

I'm here with the fam (praise the Lord for family), and I have had the blessing to participate in some no-bake cookie gorging, trampoline jumping and flipping, wii-fit playing, and some wonderful, deep conversations seasoned with joy and love. There's nothing like being home (or in this case, being pseudo-home).  
---
Today at church, we heard a lesson about being unworthy--a message I was desperately needing to hear. Matthew 9:13 says, "But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners. What a relevant verse... particularly in a "Christian nation" where deeds are praised and "followers" are cynical and judgmental towards others and their actions. Personally, I have become altogether too result-oriented in my faith; rather than seeking, above all, a relationship with the Living God, I have sought after a life worthy of praise, a slew of works that can be admired at my funeral, a powerful impact on the world around me in ways I can see. A good friend reminded me recently that God doesn't work in the same way we do - when we seek results, the Lord seeks reconciliation. And these kinds of mission fields - the ones that strive to make the Name of Jesus famous first and foremost - are not quite as tangible or visible to the naked eye. Understandably, it's easy to get frustrated when we try and try and try to make a difference but we see no outcome. But thankfully, our God doesn't measure success by our standards. And we do not owe Him our service. We have absolutely nothing to offer Him. For too long I have felt that, in some way, I have cheated God by withholding my abilities to serve. Really, I'm cheating no one but myself. 
---
I have been pretty inconsistent with posting on here, but I needed at least a little break. I hope to continue posting more often, and I hope this will be a source of encouragement for you in some way. I mentioned several posts back that I wanted to try memorizing scripture. Well I've been working (with a few lulls in motivation) and it's going swimmingly. :) I highly recommend it. Mardel's has these awesome key-ring notecards that are perfect for scripture memorization... props to Amanda. 
On this same random note, I have a couple of recommendations that will, I hope, enrich your life: The Me I Want to Be by John Ortberg (don't judge the book by its title... it is rocking my world), and the new show "Secret Millionaire." If you're someone like me who gets fed up with trashy and materialistic TV, this show will reassure your hope in humanity. 
Have a fabulous week. Hopefully Spring Break is treating you well. 

1 comment:

  1. Restore us, O God Almighty...Ps. 80:7 This was the verse of the day today and I thought it went really well with your thoughts! TY and have fun with your family!

    ReplyDelete