Monday, February 22, 2010

Caution: Controversy.

1 Corinthians 1:17 "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel - not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross be emptied of its power."

Don't say I didn't warn you.

I have to wonder - why does the modern church place so much emphasis on the unimportant things?
Not that baptism is unimportant... please don't misunderstand me. But this verse has started the gears a turning, and there's no turning back now.

We are so caught up in who is preaching, whether or not we like the songs, whether or not we prefer the worship style, whether or not church makes us "feel good."
Where in the Bible does anyone say: "Here is the purpose of the Church. Each of you will decide on a specific and impossible set of requirements and preferences, and you will not be satisfied with a church until you find one that meets each one of your ridiculously high standards."
I speak this as someone who has lived/ is living a life of selfish church life.. I get so caught up in how I think things should be, that I totally miss the presence of God in a church sometimes. And I can tell you, from experience, you are never going to find a group of people who have all of the exact same standards/ideas for church that you do.
As it should be.
CHURCH. IS. NOT. ABOUT. US.
It never has been.

This brings me to baptism.
First of all... baptism is great. Jesus did it, why wouldn't I?
But are we preaching a rule so that we don't have to actually preach the gospel?
Baptism certainly is easier to explain. And it requires significantly less vulnerability than explaining the ways that God's Word has directly impacted our lives.
Has God's word impacted our lives? Is that why we have to preach a rule instead of a way of life?
Why are we, the church, so comfortable?

GOD HAS NOT CALLED US TO BE COMFORTABLE!
He has called us to preach the gospel. In words, in action, in grace, in truth.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a great statement-"Are we preaching a rule so that we don't have to actually preach the gospel?" I couldn't agree more about the subject of baptism. We are so much more comfortable with tangible things-baptism, service, church attendance, budget...you get the point. When everything that Christ called us to be is intangible-love, joy, peace...etc. This idea is something I will struggle with the rest of my life-stupid flesh. Thanks so much for your thoughts. Check this post out i wrote a few months ago about the subject-http://mayfairya.blogspot.com/2009/04/baptism-or-belief.html

    ReplyDelete