Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Solitude.

Before coming back to OC this year, I prayed a lot about what God wanted from me during the course of the year. He kept placing a few ideas in my mind - purpose, intentionality, and community.  So, as you can imagine, I've been working through those ideas since I got back in the OKC. I am still somewhat at a loss as to how I should live those out, but last night I may have discovered something.
I am going to focus my life, week by week, on one spiritual practice.
I'm primarily basing these off of a book that I bought for a study last year (but never opened), and just a shameless plug, it is FABULOUS. It's called Celebration of Discipline. Props to Brianna for suggesting it to us.
Anywho, this week is solitude.
Solitude, based on this book, does not exactly mean what you may imagine. It does not mean loneliness or isolation, but rather it is a practice of intentional inner focus and the constant process of listening for the voice of Jesus. Today was my first day, and it was swell.  Just swell. 
Among other practices, I am focusing on awareness in the moment and a quietness of spirit. It's amazing how well it has gone today, and it's become really clear to me how much I depend on noise, busyness, and chatter. Sometimes, (scratch that.. ALL the time), it is better to actually listen rather than waiting to talk. It's also been so encouraging to know that I don't have to verbally defend myself or justify my actions. Jesus will do that for me.
I would absolutely love it if you would join me in this process. It has already blessed me so much, and I have no doubt that it will bless you, too.

solitude3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment